My First Car Was A …
- 1970 Mustang Mach I w/351 Cleveland (rather than sucky 351 Windsor) The car was my brother’s, really, but I drove it for a time. Fast as dammit, as they say.
- 1961 Ford Falcon w/170 Special & three on the tree manual transmission. In college it was referred to as the Millennium Falcon. I was once stung by a bee in this car; the bees had built a nest in the vent system. Engine blew up in Wonewoc, WI.
- 1980 Plymouth Volare (‘Nuff said.)
- 1980 Olds Delta 88 diesel. Hard to start but had a kick-ass, take-no-prisoners diesel sound. 30 mpg!
- 1984 Chevy Citation. This car had an uninspired slogan (Citation: It Works!) to match its uninspired design. Still, I drove it like I stole it until it was totaled on I-94, rear-ended by some guy from Delano, MN.
- 1995 Saturn SL2. The only new car I’ve ever bought. Lasted 16 years until rear window was shot out. (Replacing window was more than value of the car.)
- 1970 Jeepster Commando, my mid-life crisis vehicle. (current vehicle) Fun to drive (summer only) and it turns heads… of men above 50 years old and no one else.
- Honorary mentions: Motorcycles, motorcycles, MOTORCYCLES!!